Shiggi “ElShig” Pakter
26 : Female : Jedi…?
I could write about myself in third person, but I always find it a little bit weird. So here’s a written streaming consciousness about who I am, where I came from and why I’m doing this:
From day zero, I’ve always been around people who wanted nothing more than to live a happy healthy and hugely nurturing existence. Be that my mum, my nan, my dad, extended family and family friends. Like every other kid, I was (am) a ball of unending energy that had (still has) a black-hole for a stomach (seriously, my mum thought I had worms as a kid. 2 full on home made burgers and I’d still be hungry).
So from a young age I was involved in school sports: Shotokan Karate, ITF/WTF Tae Kwon Do, Netball, Tennis, Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Swimming, Field and Track. But NOT cross country…I hated long distance running (still do).
My mum was involved with bodybuilding in Kenya and won a Miss Kenya title in natural bodybuilding in ’92. I still remember reading the article and researching all the weird terminologies in there. And being pretty proud of my mum too.
I found my “thing” in field hockey and it’s been a prevalent part of what makes me through my entire life. Mix that up with growing up in a household where food was bought (or sourced from our farm) fresh and cooked and junk food wasn’t “banned” but ACTIVELY DISCOURAGED, it’s followed me into my 20′s too (I’m not an adult yet).
Speaking about being an adult, my 20′s have been a patch-work affair between trying the university thing and office work. So now, I’ve finally accepted that I enjoy helping people but love even more so learning from people in a natural environment without the rigidity of ticking off criteria for the sake of a piece of paper.
I’ve never really liked the term “fitness” but it helps discussion in the field I’ve found myself to be quite happy with. So this site is a platform for me to air my views, concerns and share topics that pertain to: being healthy, “fit” and finding a sense of internal balance (well being)
Things I’ve done
- 1986 – Born to an amazing mum who loved bodybuilding (never took it too seriously)
- 1994 – Discovered field hockey: mastered the way of the hyperactive reverse-stick tackle
- 2001 – GCSE’s (thanks to revision involving myself playing Unreal Tournament. The whole time)
- 2004 – A-Level’s (I did actually study for some of the subjects!) Moved from field positions to goal keeper for the safety of the opposing field hockey teams.
- 2005 – Discovered Capoeira at University, still a field hockey goal keeper.
- 2008 – First office Job as a graphic designer, vowed to never step foot in one again. Became a goal keeper for Oxted Ladies Hockey
- 2011 – Discovered Crossfit with Crossfit Bold. Dropped washing machine on dodgy knee
- 2012 – Quit my Job as a security monkey in a Local Government establishment. Started this site.
Things to do
- Finish my Advanced Personal Trainer course (Currently REP’s 2 Fitness Instructor)
- Crossfit Level 1 Coach
- Poliquin Biosignature Modulation Practitioner
- MovNat Certification
Why The Shaved Head?
Honestly, out of choice. I’ve wanted to shave my head since I was 6 and really women with short hair or shaved heads isn’t really all that uncommon in Kenya (Check out the role reversal hair has with the Masai). As with everything, I get bored of the same old after a while and opt for a change. So from 4 years of growing the neatest (cleanest) dreadlocks ever, I sported a mini ‘fro for a bit then decided to shave the lot off.
That was in 2008 and it’s still going strong now! On a behavioural level it’s like being a constant observer of how people interact with a person who’s obviously female but missing one of the easier gender identifiers in Western culture.
Besides, Baldies can be Barbies too!